Friday, August 15, 2008

Crazy Summer

I can't believe school started this week and that I haven't made a post since June!!! I have had the opportunity to experience change this summer in so many ways. Our office moved to Salina after a change in ownership; our kids are quickly emerging as independent, unique, little people whose quirks are both adoring and maddening at times; my time on the road training has been reduced as my pace is quickening; and my mind has forever been changed after meeting an inspiring man named, Dan Keplinger, AKA King Gimp. Dan will be the primary focus of this post as he has come to mind almost daily since I had the fortune of hearing his incredible story at the National AMBUCS convention in Rogers, AR in July.

Dan has spastic cerebral palsy and has not allowed his disability to define him. He, who has vey limited control of his motor skills, has recently completed his masters degree in fine arts. He was the subject of an academy award nominated documentary film, King Gimp. There are many messages that come from this man's amazing life, but the one I was struck so fully by that I was not able to speak after sitting through his presentation for the emotion that overflowed from me is this: Do not let others define you or tell you what you can do in life. Seems simple, yet the impact of experiencing this man's artwork has changed the way I view many aspects of my every day world.

I work in the disability world and every day have the opportunity to interact with very special people. How many times do we who are "normal" make judgement about what those we have the ability to influence are capable of becoming? I've always considered myself as a positive, encouraging individual, but I want to be more than that. I want to follow those things I'm most passionate about and I want to inspire others to do the same. So that's that. Each day, I think of the man who literally trembles and yet his passion is expressing himself through painting. He has learned to do so with a brush attached to a headband. His art is raw, pure emotion. I encourage you to learn more about living your passion, whatever it may be.

On a side note, I'm thrilled to report I have achieved 11 minute miles in my training for the half-marathon. If I can shave 1 more minute off, I'll have reached my goal of 10 minute miles by race day. WOO HOO! Blessings to you - Lori

No comments: